The minutes of the October 2018 are attached below.
The minutes of the September 20, 2018 meeting are attached.
The minutes of the June 21, 2018 meeting are attached: BCOEL Minutes June 2018
- Lindsay Tripp (Langara)
- Donna Langille (University of British Columbia)
- Lin Brander (BCIT)
- Michel Castagné (Capilano University)
- Caroline Daniels (Kwantlen Polytechnic University)
- Debra Flewelling (Douglas College)
- Erin Fields (University of British Columbia)
- Hope Power (Simon Fraser University)
- Darcye Lovsin (Capilano University)
- Karen Meijer-Kline (Kwantlen Polytechnic University)
- Rosario Passos (BCIT)
- Brenda Smith (Thompson Rivers University)
- Lindsay Tripp (Langara College)
- Martin Warkentin (University of the Fraser Valley)
- Jonas Lamb (University of Alaska Southeast)
- Ali de Haan (Acsenda School of Management)
- Donna Langille (University of British Columbia)
- Mia Clarkson (Capilano University)
- Sabrina Wong (Capilano University)
- Reba Ouimet (ELN)
- Amanda Grey (BCIT)
- Urooj Nizami (KPU)
- Ksenia Chainman (Canada School of Public Service)
- Elena Kuzmina (VCC)
- Roen Janyk (Okanagan College)
Engagement: Brenda Smith, Debra Flewelling, Darcye Lovsin, Karen Meijer-Kline
Publishing: Lin Brander, Caroline Daniels, Jonas Lamb, Rosario Passos, Karen Meijer-Kline, Michel Castagné, Ali de Haan, Donna Langille, Mia Clarkson
Professional Development and Advocacy: Hope Power, Martin Warkentin, Erin Fields, Lindsay Tripp, Reba Ouimet, Sabrina Wong
We gratefully acknowledge the work of BC Open Education Librarian members who are no longer active with our group:
- Katherine Miller (University of British Columbia)
- Amanda Wanner, SLAIS UBC Student/Librarian
- Devin Soper, formerly of UBC Library
- Inba Kehoe
- James Murphy, SLAIS Co-op Student (Information & Instruction, SFU Library)
- Ju Dee Ang, SLAIS Professional Library student
- Kevin Stranack
- Leva Lee (BCcampus)
- Lindsay Tripp
- Stephanie Savage, SLAIS Student Volunteer
- Lucas Wright (UBC and BCcampus)
This space is a collaborative working space for the BC Open Education Librarians (BCOEL) group, a group of BC post-secondary librarians interested in OER and informally meeting to discover and share ways we can support the use of quality OER by faculty and students.
The BCOEL group met initially in December 2013, after a few librarians thought it would helpful to meet and share ideas, tools, and strategies on OER projects in support of faculty. The group has since met monthly via teleconference with the coordination and assistance of BCcampus.ca (See the BCcampus OpenEd site and BC Open Textbook project for more general info on BC and OER happenings and info on the BC Open Textbook project.)
The BCOEL group official web space where we share our work is hosted here: bcoel.ca.
The twitter hashtag has changed from #bcoer to #bcoel.
For more information on BCOEL or to find out how you can help with projects of this working group contact Brenda Smith. We’d be delighted to hear from you.
Members of this site are invited to make changes to pages, to add to them and/or create new pages and new topics of interest.
Definition of Open Education Resources
Open Education Resources (OER) is a broadly defined term and includes resources related to the development of instruction. For the purpose of this project, OER will refer to open resources such as journal articles, books, associated course materials, and AV materials such as streaming audio and video.
At this time course development materials, such as instructional modules, course syllabi, presentation, and quizzes, will not be included.
The objective of the BCOEL group is to develop a set of resources to support librarians in their interactions with faculty related to OER. The resources developed are meant to provide a single authoritative and sustainable space for all BC libraries in the identification and use of OER resources.
The BCOEL group will focus on the education and professional development of librarians facilitating faculty members in using and/or developing OER.
- Develop a process of identifying and assessing OER resources for use in research and instruction.
- Develop a list of vetted resources by subject for referral.
- Develop faculty discussion points for librarians on the subtle differences between OER and OA and their uses in research and instruction.
- Provide local and advertise local events for professional development.
- Develop a guide to OER initiatives.
Short term (Spring 2014)
- Research OER assessment checklists and develop a brief outline (Initial Leads – Devin & Erin)
- Compile list of OER reuse and copyright/licensing information to leverage in future resources
- Compile list of OER professional development opportunities for librarians
- Compile list of OER initiatives for faculty involvement
Mid term (Fall 2014)
Long term (2015?)
- OER assessment checklist
- Vetted OER lists by subject, with priority given to high use subject areas.
- Educational resources related to copyright issues and OER vs. OA.
- A list of local events for librarian professional development. Additional events will be developed by this group to support dialogue and growth.
- A list of OER initiatives for faculty involvement (e.g. BC Textbooks)
- Promotional material, including:
- One Pager for Faculty on OER
- One Pager for Librarians on OER Support
- Are there librarians we can call on to contribute? Subject Librarians
- Finalized central location for the guide/portal for sharing what we are doing
- Do we need a place other than this wiki for collaborating on projects?
April 19, 2018 – Agenda
- Festival of Learning Meeting
- Wikispace Transition
- BCLA Conference – NEW
- Outdated Website (https://open.bccampus.ca/bcoer-librarians/)
- Maintaining an events page
- Working group membership
- Chair elect terms
- Roundtable – what’s happening at your institution or newsworthy info re: Open Ed
- MediaWiki passwords – NEW
- PD Opportunities – NEW
- Creative Commons Licence
- SPARC OER Leadership
- Next meeting
February 28, 2018 – Agenda
1. Open Education Week Events
2. New online space to replace this one
3. Problem with mediawiki ?
4. Martin’s update on classes and workshop on OER
5.. Day to meet at Festival of Learning
6. update on conference sessions
January 8, 2018 – Agenda
1. Open textbook logo (Lauri’s email)
The OpenEd team at BCcampus had a discussion this morning about possibly using an “Open Textbook” logo to help faculty learn more about or find open textbooks. One idea is that the logo would be hyperlinked to the B.C. Open Textbook Collection. (This tactic was used for ApplyBC a few years ago and worked well as a visual identifier for students wanting to applying for admission online.) As far as where the logo would be placed, this could be up to each institution and something that can be discussed further.
2. Update on Open Ed Week event – Kwantlen
3. BCLA update
4. Festival of Learning – In person meeting – who’s attending
5. Website link is up (Lucas)