Friday January 10th at 10 AM
(Scribe: Leva – 8 participants)
- ideas and strategies for OER broad spectrum from targetted one pagers to Lib guides to issues on copyright and awareness/ed
- need to address how we define OER before identify needs, how to address
- important to keep discussions going and sharing
- figure out what the gaps are together and fill those interstitutial spaces
- Many questions being raised on textbooks (e.g. students coming to library as they can’t afford textbooks)
- Students will need to know how to cite OER
- how do libraries fit/or not into the question of copyright
- “be an expert without being an expert”? – Access the expertise of this group!
- If we need another method of communication let L.L know; options: listserv, online forums (WordPress), twitter group (could link to #BCOOEC?)
- UBC ahead of the game – if we could somewhat of a unified voice on open and address sustainability; or a centralized space; leadership in this area?
- Moocs or ideas of moocs are pushing change
- ACTION: Working group of Janis, Leva & Erin to draft a frame of reference for this group that captures and benefits from the diverse expertise and interest of this group. See Frame of Reference Wiki page