Meeting Notes – 27 November 2014

Thurs. November 27, 2014
Agenda & Notes
Attended by: Leva (scribe), Erin, Janis, Lin, Debra, Inba, Brenda, Jocelyn, Martin, Caroline
1. Followup on BCOER Event
– how did it go? improvements for next time?
– survey to participants on next steps – what’s needed – professional learning
– What do you think is needed next? Book sprint/Course sprint/ CC or Copyright event?
ACTION: Table this for January Meeting; to send out note to share resources to attendings and perhaps simple ask of what worked/didn’t work
2. Followup on our web space on open.bccampus.ca
– Professional Library student to help (Erin to report)
ACTION: Leva will put up prelim space/pages to share out Oct 27 videos, slides,photos
ACTION: Erin reported a student coming onboard and will get started to assist us in the new year
3. Followup on sharing of web guides or other resources? ACTION: Erin, Lin, Debra, Caroline to meet to discuss how best these spaces will be configured for sharing
4.Followup on upcoming conference proposals: whose interested in a presentation?
– Nov 30th deadline – OE Consortium in Banff in April
– Dec 1 deadline BCLA in Richmond in May
– Feb – ETUG in SFU Bby in June
– STHLE pre conf (Grad students/TAs) in June
ACTION: Leva will do a Doodle and meet with Caroline, Brenda & LIn to craft a proposal for BCLA Dec 10th deadline; Activist stream and perhaps a panel; team facilitated session
6. Update news
– we did a presentation to CARL in Oct (Clint & Leva)
– speaking with librarians at University of Regina (interested in joining any webinars/lunchlearns)
– other
No ACTION
7. Misc
BCcampus Adopting OT webinar starts in January
Open Textbook Adoption kit (was asked about at BCOER Event)
Authoring in Pressbooks
More BCOER posters if anyone wants some
SPARC librarians meeting on Dec 3rd (Debra)
ACTION: Lin, Erin, Brenda wanted posters. Contact Leva & they will be sent to you…Will see how many are left.
Next Meeting January 2015

Meeting Notes – 26 September 2014

Friday September 26th 1 PM

Agenda & Notes
Attending: Leva (scribe), Debra, Erin, Caroline, Martin, Devon,

1.BCOER event “Open Education Resources: Librarians, Leadership and Opportunity” – an OER awareness event for librarians
– Librarians & OER web site & reg is now live; BCOER please register & tell colleague; as space is limited
– promotional channels -ACTION: Debra will post to ALPS List; Twitter: BCcampus can tweet and we can all tweet use #BCOER
– BCcampus will post short item on web site Calendar (done)
– BCOER presenters – to speak about BCOER and highlights we’ve volunteered Janis (who is absent today); also Debra, Caroline, Lin and Erin to help
– Logistics ACTION: Leva & Debra to meet Monday at DC to test tech stuff and do catering
– Post event social? ACTION: Let’s invite Quill and go to The Hub at Skytrain for a drink /coffee
-Final part on What librarians need? How shall we harvest the ideas?Have them chat for a few minutes and one person at each table write on a sticky ideas then offer up one idea per table as we wrap?
– Do we want to create a google doct for collaborative note taking? – Yes let’s try this ACTION: Need a Volunteer to help do this
– Bccampus coop student to help record sessions – ACTION: Leva will arrange
2. Open Access Week – What events happening? (Open Access Week at UBC, SFU, etc.)
ACTION: Request will be posted to send a short blurb and key links to what you are doing on campus for Open Access Week and we will create a page on open.bccampus.ca – Leva
Also arranging informal meeting with Nicole over noon lunch break Oct.28 at UBC if you want to meet – Leva, Erin, Caroline, Debra so far will meet with Nicole; All welcome but let Leva know so we can figure out where to go as campus cafes are busy! ACTION: We’ve booked Nicole we just need to figure out where to go depending on how large a group
3. FYI Other conferences – co-presenting opps for BCOER? Suggestions? Get in touch with Leva if you are interested
4. FYI SPARC update – see notes for good OER awareness raising on campus
5. FYI U of Alberta librarians – Leva met with them to share info as part of MOU to collaborate wit AB and Sask
6.FYI Citation of OER materials and adapted OT – Sybil had some good ideas & following up with Clint
7. FYI BCOER project work – Professional Experience student or Contractor- ACTION: Caroline & Erin to talk
8. FYI from Debra that BCCATS has formed a subcommittee to specifically address how to catalogue OER (Douglas has a member who attends these meetings)

Table for future discussion –
broader/bigger community of practice – yes and how? -LL
branding for BCOER- do we need? if so can do – LL

Meeting Notes – 5 September 2014

September 5th, 2014

Agenda & Notes

Attending: Janis, Leva, Erin, Debra, Sybil, Martin, Caroline
1. OER Awareness Workshop for Librarians
– Program: speakers/format – Finalize this asap
– Name of event & branding? e.g.suggestion: “This event brought to you by BCOER and sponsored by BCcampus OpenEd”
– Registration – google form – name, institution, title/role and email and note on particular interest; post link from open.bccampus.ca page
– Promotion and invitations – blurb on event & distribution channels, all do personal invites (we can craft a message for all to use)
– Timeline- Get web pages ready as soon as possible and start promoting
– ACTION: All review PD page Librarians and add your thoughts; Leva to get web pages & reg done asap
2. Professional Experience Student SLAIS

-Erin drafted and will post; Leva will be co-supervisor of the student. We will need to see if any takers of this position which is designed to help us move forward with our BCOER projects

3. Contractor Librarian: KPU may be able to help provide some support to projects like the subject guides, content of web pages and/or our collaborative working space.

Meeting Notes – 8 July 2014

*MEGA Meeting before Summer: July 8th – 9AM – 10:20 AM (Scribe: Leva; Participants: Deb, Erin, Caroline, Inba, Janis, Devin, Lynda, Sybil, Leva/ Regrets: Will, Lin, Tania)

1. Followup on Hackfest** projects – Erin, Leva

  • Update on Guides done at Hackfest: need to be looked at and shared out in some way in a wikispace and bccampus open site; ACTION: See #3 for followup;Proposed idea: work study library/student to do the ongoing updates or groundwork for guides? UBC, or other organization can sponsor someone for 3 months; Erin will send description on work/study to us for consideration
  • Feedback on first draft of OER Awareness poster: 1. need acknowledgement of source as BCOER 2. need to provide references on the poster – will find space in footer per best practices ACTION: Leva to work with graphic person

2. Update on BCOER session at ETUG Notes from that session – Janis, Erin, Leva ACTION; No action at this time; look at challenges in notes an see how they can be addressed by our work in the days ahead
3. Update on OER guides (post-Hackfest) – Caroline, Deb, Lin: Work being done on overview guides on OER as well by Lin, Deb & Caroline; Need to figure out where and how to structure pages to share along with the Hackfest guides ACTION: Caroline, Deb, Erin to meet to figure this out and what the collaborative space might look like in wiki
4. Update on BCOER Listserv – Purpose/Guidelines – Leva; ACTION: Listserv will be implemented asap and will be hosed by BCcampus and moderated by Leva (for now). Will be a private listserv for the use of our projects and organize meetings and share info; we can forward on notes of interest to colleagues and reassess in 6 months if we need to make it more open
5. BCOER Web presence – hosted as pages off http://open.bccampus.ca This is a WordPress site ACTION: will be a good interim solution to have a section under “Resources” called “Librarians” then our BCOER info/products See this Page ; Leva discussing with web team
6. OER Awareness Event for Librarians. See for PD page Librarians and add your thoughts – Deb, Leva, Janis: Date – will try for Oct 27 at 1 – 4 pm; ACTIONAll post info in the wiki page for program/speakers/activities: Deb will look at confirming the site for this date and have a backup space at DC; Leva will check with availability of possible speakers asap. Janis will look at how we can use radio elements to bring PD to those at a distance and/or audio capture for podcasts (Leva will help)
7. OER Copyright Workshop or tools- ideas – Inba ACTION: wiki page created for ideas on copyright /CC info and what’s needed to educate ourselves and colleagues; Identified that a FAQ helpful (UBC has one) and maybe a flowchart and some web pages. ACTIONInba and Sybil will work together on this project
8. Sol*R Curation project; Need advice on how to make improvements – Leva ACTION: Leva will create page for feedback from group; ACTION:Tabled for discussion in September
9.News – All

  • Accessibility Toolkit ( under development ): BCcampus & CAPER working on a toolkit to help people to create more accessible resources for persons with disabilities; tool kit to be tested with students in Fall /Winter
  • New SPARC Libraries & OER Forum
  • SLAIS Open Course with Stanford

10. Other things on your wish list? need help with?
Next “real” meeting will be in mid-September. ACTION: Leva will send a Doodle

Resources

Please share any resources you find helpful or that we should be aware of…Add your own categories if you have new ones and help organize this better!

BC OER Guides

OER Portals & Repositories (that you like)

Articles

Groups

  • CCCOER has a list that is very active and informative. Una Daly is the facilitator and manager of this list.
  • Toward Open Education – informal BC open education community involved in a creating a set of resources and conversations in a format that encourages an open approach and collaboration

Institutional resources and information — our (and other) libraries’ guides of interest

 

Events

 

BC Open Textbook project (BCampus)

  • BC Open Textbook Project Backgrounder/Narrative – See PDF as uploaded under “Files on this wiki.
  • Top 40 Open textbooks with BC Faculty reviews: http://open.bccampus.ca/forums/topic/list-of-textbooks-with-review
  • Call for Reviewers for Open Textbooks is ongoing and Call for Adaptations for Open Textbooks is still open. Go to open.bccampus.ca
  • Adopting Open Textbooks Workshop – online workshop SEE archives http://scope.bccampus.ca/course/view.php?id=374
    • This course was held last Fall and was based on the content used in our f2f workshops delivered at UNBC, TRU, Kwantlen and Camosun in the 2013. Would it be useful for this course to be tweaked as a set of resources for librarians and faculty? Or just promoted as is so people are aware of it? I would like feedback on the course resources and think we could improve on it some more! It is available for all to use. – Leva
  • Adapting Open Textbooks – online workshop http://scope.bccampus.ca/course/view.php?id=384

Meeting Notes – 12 March 2014

Wednesday March 12 at 1 PM
(Scribe: Leva; Participants: Deb, Erin, Leva, Inba, Janis, Patti, Martin, Caroline/ Regrets: Will, Devin)

  • Welcoming 2 new people: Martin, UFV and Will, UBC; Erin has a SLAIS student that would like to join this group
  • Roundtable: KPU Open Ed session March 10th well-attended & this group mentioned as one of the ways librarians are participating in BC; BCcampus hosting a booksprint for a Geography textbook; BC Open Textbook Summit April 16/17 ACTION: Leva to verify registration and notify of details of agenda; Janis to send SFU one pager on OER; Caroline to send link to BCCAT with MARC record for BC Open Textbooks available;
  • Idea! How about sprint session to create our OER guide/assessment tools? ACTION: Leva to send Doodle with possible dates/options for a Sprint
  • Review Frame of Reference – invitation to comment or add info to wiki page – This is work-in-progress.
  • Review – OER Assessment Checklist & OER pages on wiki: Do we just want a simple checklist or do we want something more extensive like a rubric? We need to consider if we choose to do one, which or both? ACTION: All to review the research on the wiki page and provide feedback
  • Meeting method? Is teleconference working or should we try another way…e.g. skype, Big Blue Button or ? ACTION: Leva will poll group with next Doodle
  • We may not need to do a virtual meeting in March if most of us going to OT Summit (Leva)

Meeting Notes – 11 February 2014

Monday February 11th at 11 AM
(Scribe: Leva; Participants: Deb, Devin, Erin, Leva/ Regrets: Janis)

  • Frame of Reference Reviewed; Acknowledged that scope was a key item in our definition of OER and also focus audience on librarians and materials to help them which can be modified and used for faculty (Item #2)
  • Moving forward with “Outputs” #1 “Assessment Checklist” What makes a good OER? Scholarship/peer review process? Quality…and 4 Rs? – Erin lead on creating framework for this; Deb sending some research
  • Moving forward with #3- 5 subpages for content guides – Devin/ Erin scope out head
  • Suggested that we are getting many events and resources that could be shard out broadly to librarians – Need to think in mid to long term what may be used – Deb doing some research on Libguides; Leva on other & how supported
  • ACTION: Remind our group to look at Frame of Reference and also to post to wiki; Remind them of BC Open Textbook Summit in April
    • who’s going? Leva to check agenda to see what kind work can be accomplished at the meeting
    • Queue up the next meeting for March

Meeting Notes – 10 January 2014

Friday January 10th at 10 AM
(Scribe: Leva – 8 participants)

  • ideas and strategies for OER broad spectrum from targetted one pagers to Lib guides to issues on copyright and awareness/ed
  • need to address how we define OER before identify needs, how to address
  • important to keep discussions going and sharing
  • figure out what the gaps are together and fill those interstitutial spaces
  • Many questions being raised on textbooks (e.g. students coming to library as they can’t afford textbooks)
  • Students will need to know how to cite OER
  • how do libraries fit/or not into the question of copyright
  • “be an expert without being an expert”? – Access the expertise of this group!
  • If we need another method of communication let L.L know; options: listserv, online forums (WordPress), twitter group (could link to #BCOOEC?)
  • UBC ahead of the game – if we could somewhat of a unified voice on open and address sustainability; or a centralized space; leadership in this area?
  • Moocs or ideas of moocs are pushing change
  • ACTION: Working group of Janis, Leva & Erin to draft a frame of reference for this group that captures and benefits from the diverse expertise and interest of this group. See Frame of Reference Wiki page