ETUG Spring Session – April 2014

 ETUG Spring Workshop Session

Here are the notes from our BCOER ETUG session – April 2014

Key Challenges (groups mention 1 or 2 main challenges from the brainstorm):

What are OERs anyhow?
Unclear path –what next?

Disappearing resources
Big Complicated sites
Institutional Culture doesn’t support openness
How to store and curate /content /materials
Understanding CC licesnces
Design (or not) for reuse
Transferablility (reuse, permissions, quality)

Quality & standards

Pressure from Trad publishers
Promotions & tenure
Turn key solutions are easier
Student POV?
Transfer credit

Additional
Student created OERs

Sticky NOTES from Participants Brainstorm on Challenges
photo.JPG

THEMES on All Challenges noted from above:

Awareness:
– Where to start?
– uncler path
– don’t know about OERs
– how to “publicize” within the institution?
– know what it is; where to find it; operates under the 5 Rs – what do they mean?
– need to learn more about it
– need feedback form instructors

Discoverabilty:
– searching for OER challenging
– Where do I put my open resources so ppl can find them?
– repositories are not well curated
– storing /curating content produced via open pedagogy
– need for open/curated collections
– open resources not in libary catealogue
– searching efficiently
– navigating (so many) repositories
– may not have open texts fro specific areas
– Merlot
– Open texts sites
– must get to know sites/ complicated

Quality & Longevity of OERs:
– quality – transferability
– hard to determine quality
– OERs that disappear over a short period of time
– disappearing resources
– share products not source files
– contextual relevance
– solo work – no burden / sharing
– challenge if not editable or need a lot of adapting & cannot do it
– lack of ancillary resources
-usability paradox

Licensing:
– understanding CC license
– licensing not always clear
– defining terms & licensing

Resistance to Change:
– Institutional culture can facilitate or hinder adoption
– Hard to get faculty to switch from trad textbooks
– operational challenges wtih adoption
– institutional culture doesn’t support openness
– process of adapting is a challenge

Opportunities:
– linking into development opportunities

Other:
– time
– 0 for reuse ; 0 resources found in Architecture??


Hi Everyone, I threw in a proposal for Erin, Janis and I to do a session at ETUG as a placeholder and we got accepted by the program committee.
This page is to draft our prep for the ETUG session on the BCOER with focus on a facilitated discussion
The time slot we have is Friday June 13th 11:00 am (50 min) – Langara Campus. Hope you will all join us there! We would like to engage with all interested and facilitate the conversation regarding challenges of OER and crowdsource solutions and what we will do to tackle this together.

Blurb from http://etug.ca:
BCOER
Initiatives like the BC Open Textbook project managed by BCcampus, and flexible learning projects like those at UBC and SFU, present more opportunities to use Open Education Resources in BC postsecondary. However many faculty aren’t aware of the benefits of OERs, the range of OERs that are available, or how to find the best ones to use (or revise, or remix). The BCOER, a team of BC postsecondary librarians, has been discussing ways to collaborate on supporting faculty in adopting, using, and ultimately creating OERs. The group has started to identify and develop assessment tools for quality OERs, and has begun working to build finding aids for specific academic disciplines. We’ll talk about what we’ve done so far and we want to hear from you too: bring your questions and ideas on how libraries can support OER initiatives at postsecondary institutions, and share your feedback on the supports and tools we are developing.

Materials Needed (Leva – can you bring these or are they available)

  • Markers, sticky notes, name tag

Outline (Janis)
Introductions – get a sense of who is in the room – librarians, instructors or other support people (5 min)
Outline activity to participants 1. Activity on Challenges/Solutions using a modified Liberating structures discussion and crowdsource problems and ideas for solutions 2. Letting people know what BCOER is and what we are doing and trying to achieve Share out our notes and solutions (over time)

Discussion Activity 1* (Janis) – (15 min)
Find who is in the room and move them around (disperse the librarians)
What are the challenges to finding and using OER content in your work?
Take a moment to think about challenges in using OER and write down on a sticky note. (3 min)
Pair up or in groups – discussion with each other ( 5 min)
Share top 2 or 3 challenges with the room (5 min)

(We collect stickies – while people chatting in next session we identify themes BCOER addressing or not)

BCOER Info Update – (10 min) (Erin)
What is the BCOER Group?
(Erin, Janis, Leva – why did we form?)
Coordination for Collaboration – logistical elements that BCcampus can do to help

  • teleconference & scheduling/wikspace working space – future: listserv & webinar meetings
  • Frame of reference
  • Prioritize what we want to do together

Hackfest – Working session (Erin)

  • Rubrics
  • OER Guides
  • Permissions

Discussion Activity 2* – (Leva) (15 min)
What are some ideas for solutions to address key challenges?
How can we work together to do this?
What aren’t we addressing and who is or can?

*Based on the stickies and ideas from the group – report out any alignment or not

Meeting Notes – 12 March 2014

Wednesday March 12 at 1 PM
(Scribe: Leva; Participants: Deb, Erin, Leva, Inba, Janis, Patti, Martin, Caroline/ Regrets: Will, Devin)

  • Welcoming 2 new people: Martin, UFV and Will, UBC; Erin has a SLAIS student that would like to join this group
  • Roundtable: KPU Open Ed session March 10th well-attended & this group mentioned as one of the ways librarians are participating in BC; BCcampus hosting a booksprint for a Geography textbook; BC Open Textbook Summit April 16/17 ACTION: Leva to verify registration and notify of details of agenda; Janis to send SFU one pager on OER; Caroline to send link to BCCAT with MARC record for BC Open Textbooks available;
  • Idea! How about sprint session to create our OER guide/assessment tools? ACTION: Leva to send Doodle with possible dates/options for a Sprint
  • Review Frame of Reference – invitation to comment or add info to wiki page – This is work-in-progress.
  • Review – OER Assessment Checklist & OER pages on wiki: Do we just want a simple checklist or do we want something more extensive like a rubric? We need to consider if we choose to do one, which or both? ACTION: All to review the research on the wiki page and provide feedback
  • Meeting method? Is teleconference working or should we try another way…e.g. skype, Big Blue Button or ? ACTION: Leva will poll group with next Doodle
  • We may not need to do a virtual meeting in March if most of us going to OT Summit (Leva)

Meeting Notes – 11 February 2014

Monday February 11th at 11 AM
(Scribe: Leva; Participants: Deb, Devin, Erin, Leva/ Regrets: Janis)

  • Frame of Reference Reviewed; Acknowledged that scope was a key item in our definition of OER and also focus audience on librarians and materials to help them which can be modified and used for faculty (Item #2)
  • Moving forward with “Outputs” #1 “Assessment Checklist” What makes a good OER? Scholarship/peer review process? Quality…and 4 Rs? – Erin lead on creating framework for this; Deb sending some research
  • Moving forward with #3- 5 subpages for content guides – Devin/ Erin scope out head
  • Suggested that we are getting many events and resources that could be shard out broadly to librarians – Need to think in mid to long term what may be used – Deb doing some research on Libguides; Leva on other & how supported
  • ACTION: Remind our group to look at Frame of Reference and also to post to wiki; Remind them of BC Open Textbook Summit in April
    • who’s going? Leva to check agenda to see what kind work can be accomplished at the meeting
    • Queue up the next meeting for March

Meeting Notes – 10 January 2014

Friday January 10th at 10 AM
(Scribe: Leva – 8 participants)

  • ideas and strategies for OER broad spectrum from targetted one pagers to Lib guides to issues on copyright and awareness/ed
  • need to address how we define OER before identify needs, how to address
  • important to keep discussions going and sharing
  • figure out what the gaps are together and fill those interstitutial spaces
  • Many questions being raised on textbooks (e.g. students coming to library as they can’t afford textbooks)
  • Students will need to know how to cite OER
  • how do libraries fit/or not into the question of copyright
  • “be an expert without being an expert”? – Access the expertise of this group!
  • If we need another method of communication let L.L know; options: listserv, online forums (WordPress), twitter group (could link to #BCOOEC?)
  • UBC ahead of the game – if we could somewhat of a unified voice on open and address sustainability; or a centralized space; leadership in this area?
  • Moocs or ideas of moocs are pushing change
  • ACTION: Working group of Janis, Leva & Erin to draft a frame of reference for this group that captures and benefits from the diverse expertise and interest of this group. See Frame of Reference Wiki page

Project Ideas – January 2014

OER Guides

Note: these are just some guiding questions. Please add to this list and or create new threads.

What is the current state of finding quality OER ?

  • Discoverability not easy
  • Find material through google searching appears easy but the content is not vetted for content type, quality, or use (e.g. Can the content be used in a MOOC or just for personal research, is the source a database or does it contain articles, is it update regularly, etc.)

What resources currently exist?